Finding the best natural cosmetics can be a big chore. Follow along and learn about some of your best options. Most people are unaware what types of chemicals are in cosmetics. For example, the myth that there is lead in lipstick is true. Around 61% of the popular lipsticks on the market contain trace amounts of lead. But as the FDA has stated, no amount of lead is safe, no matter how small. This is because the lead bioaccumulates in the blood stream over time. Before buying any beauty product, make sure to do thorough research online about the quality of product you are buying.
Always look for cosmetics products that say “hypoallergenic,” “cruelty- free,” and “non-comedogenic.”
Here’s a list of the most important chemicals to AVOID:
- Parabens- compound similar to estrogen, can disrupt the endocrine system and irritate skin
- BHA- preservative, shown to be carcinogenic in animal studies
- Fragrance- unknown blend of chemical unique to a product that could potentially cause allergic reactions or be carcinogenic
- Petrochemicals- derived from fossil fuels, endocrine disruptor
1) Physicians Formula Organic Wear® Mascara. The eco-friendly plastic brush does a superb job of separating lashes, while still looking natural. It is excellent at lengthening the lashes, but not volumnizing. The non- clumping formula feels natural and light on the eyelashes, unlike many other products on the market. This mascara is safe for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers and costs $9.50 for 1 tube.
2) Tarte Eight Dates a Week Lip gloss Set. This lip gloss set provides consumers many different color options and is a great portable size. Whatever the mood or occasion calls for, there will be a perfect color in this set. The unique formula blend is moisturizing while also delivering high- impact shine. The set of 8 lip glosses is $25.00
3) Bare Minerals Get Started Kit. This award winning mineral foundation has achieved cult status for a reason. The formula blend of is appropriate for all skin types, even sensitive and acne prone. After continual wear of Bare Minerals, the skin has actually been shown to improve over time, due to the anti-inflammatory properties of titanium dioxide. The lightweight texture and range of colors blends in to look natural, giving skin that beautiful “no-make up look.” This 8 piece set runs for $60.00.
4) Josie Maran Magic Marker Argan Liquid Eye Liner. Finding a user-friendly liquid eyeliner is difficult for any woman. This long-wear eye liner is waterproof and has a thin tip to draw the most precise lines. Containing argan oil, known to be naturally hydrating, this eye liner won’t damage the delicate skin around the eyes or cause wrinkles. The pen is $22.00.
5) Korres Monoi Oil Bronzing Powder. Forgoe looking like an orange oompa loompa when using this bronzer. This bronzing powder gives a believable sun-kissed glow and also a touch of light hydration. Unlike many other bronzers, the shimmer is subtle and does not look artificial. Using a bronzer is a great way to look tan without going tanning, which ages your skin. The compact runs for $28.00